MINUTES OF THE SAKA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE OLD MUTUAL SPORTS HALL IN DURBAN ON 28 APRIL 2017
P. Carney – Chairperson
J. Cloete – 1st Vise Chairperson and Chairperson SAKA Pro
A. Bayett – 2nd Vise Chairperson and Representative Tatami Sport
C. Ndlovu – Treasurer
M. Carney – Administrator / Woman Representative
A. Mohammed – Development
A. April – Representative Ring Sport
D. Du Plessis – Senior Advisor
R. Phillips – Senior Advisor
The rest of the people in attendance are on hard copy in the file. In all we were 89 people in attendance. This is more than 75% of our constituents.
The Chairperson welcomed all in attendance and thanked them for traveling to Durban to attend the SA`s. The Durban venue was a calculated risk but
will most certainly be one of the SA`s always to be remembered. The chairman thanked Aslam for all the effort he and his team put in to stage
the event in Durban.
ITEM No 1:
THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
There were no outstanding items to be discussed and the minutes were accepted as a true reflection of a fair election and what was discussed.
ITEM No 2:
Due to allegations the following were confirmed;
1. Whether any member on the executive acts in a racial manner. No one agreed with this allegation.
2. It was agreed that the method of elections followed by SAKA is what SAKA people want. The ballad system will not be used. A vote by raising your
hand will be made while the nominee is outside and has been discussed. After all we are Black Belts and must be responsible in our choices.
3. The chairperson asked whether anyone has a problem with the members serving on the executive. The answer was no.
4. It was also asked whether the chairman has used abusive language to or against anyone. Here the answer was also no. The chairman nevertheless
apologised should he have used bad language during his announcements which might have aggrieved anyone.
ITEM No 3:
The following international events will be hosted in South Africa;
1. Canada vs South Africa. The event will be hosted in Thabazimbi on 29 July 2017. Peet Van Breda confirmed that they will be ready to host it.
After the event the Canadians will be visiting a Game park in the area. The event will be in the styles of Full Contact and Low Kick.
2. Mauritius indicated that they would like to come to South Africa at the end of August 2017 as a preparation for their team to attend the WAKO World
Championships. Cape Town indicated that they will be able to host it. The event will have to be held on 26 August 2017. This must be confirmed with
me by 15 May 2017.
3. Turkey vs South Africa. This event will be hosted at Club Mikonos on the West Coast on 23 September 2017. Josh Cloete who will be the organizer has
indicated that everything will be in order for the event. The plan is to have an event in both Tatami and Ring Sport.
4. The WAKO World Championships. The one for K1, Low Kick and Light Contact will be held in Fortaleza, Brasil over the period 21 to 29 October 2017 .
The one for Forms, Semi Contact, Kick Light and Full Contact will be held in Budapest, Hungary over the period 18 to 26 November 2017.
Please take note that all international events must be administered from SAKA head quarters via MASA to SASCOC for approval. Nobody can as a SAKA
member attend an international event without following this process.
ITEM No 4:
THE YEAR CALENDAR
There were no changes to be discussed. Larry indicated that he will like to place his K1 events on the calendar. The chairman notified him to send the
dates through to him to have it placed on the calendar. Instructors from other regions indicated that they would like to participate at the Durban
The chairman explained that all the events on the calendar are sanctioned. Should an event not be there it is not sanctioned and instructors must not
support unsanctioned events. Should less than four clubs do a practice event it need not be sanctioned. It is deemed a normal practice session. No
event may be held in a ring without sanctioning.
ITEM No 5:
The chairman explained the difference between the two coaches courses presently being hosted.
1. The SAKA Coaches Course; A course to be done by all instructors of Kickboxing. It deals with the teaching of Kickboxing.
2. The SAQA Coaches Course; This is a generic course accepted by the department for Education. The ideal will be to have all instructors
qualified here too. Abdullah ( the MASA Coaches Commissioner ) explained what has already been done and what the way forward will entail. George (
the presenter / moderator of these courses ) also elaborated on the matter.
ITEM No 6:
The chairman is still concerned about the lack of interest by the instructors regarding these matters. All the information regarding medical
procedures are on the web site and in the constitution. The chairman instructed all provincial chairpersons to confirm with him in writing by 19
May 2017 that all instructors within the province has a first aid qualification and that all their fighters have done the annual medical
tests as prescribed in the constitution.
ITEM No 7:
Everyone was given the opportunity to inspect the financial report with Charlie and ask questions should they be dissatisfied with the management
of SAKA funds. No dissatisfactions were raised.
Cheques will be made out for the following;
1. To the chairman / administrator for stationary to do SAKA administration. Should it exceed R5,000.00 permission must be obtained by
2. The registrations for MASA ( R350 per club ) and WAKO ( 1,200 Euro ). The amount for WAKO Pro must still be obtained.
3. Website registration and the re-structioning thereof. This amount will be liaised with the executive.
4. Assistance towards the hosting / management of Canada and Turkey. These amounts will also be liaised with the executive.
5. Any other expense will be liaised with the executive.
ITM No 8:
Raymond explained the concept which was accepted as a good idea. The chairperson noted that we must not just speak about it but put it into
action. A committee was formed who will consist of the following; Raymond (chairman ), Bernie, Anne, Monique, JD, Drikkie, Aslam and Danie who will
specifically attend to the older generation. In a lighter note we were referred to as the `has beens` still hanging around. A plan of action must
be given to the SAKA chairman by the end of May 2017. There must be visual progress on the website by the end of July 2017. The chairman also noted
that you cannot expect to be listed or hailed as a hero if you done or achieved nothing. Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Tyson etc did not become
heroes by fighting at easy events. They fought the best of the best and brought back gold or the world champion`s belt. WAKO gold medals can get
ITEM No 9:
P C PRGRAMME
Presently a programme to substitute Log Books, have fighter profiles, administer events etc was discussed. Everyone agreed that it is a good
concept and must be investigated. Presently Eden is working on a programme, Ryan is involved with a programme for MMA and the administrator is also
testing a programme which was used with success at GN 1 and the SA`s. The chairman decided that each group must continue with the development of
their respective programmes. He will appoint someone to consolidate the various tests and develop a programme which will suite SAKA`s needs.
ITEM No 10:
It was accepted by a more than 75% majority that the Constitution can be amended on the following aspects:
1. Spelling and grammar.
2. Format as to place similar aspects under a heading.
3. Elaborate on the voting process. It will however not change.
4. Include Event management. No changes will be made to what we are presently doing.
5. Elaborate on the process of complaints and problem solving.
6. Aspects of importance which MASA has in their constitution which we deem necessary for SAKA to include.
The constitution must be kept simple but effective. Once completed it will be sent to all the regional / provincial heads to confirm the correctness
thereof with their clubs.
ITEM No 11:
The SAKA medical must be done every 12 months for Tatami participants and every six months for Ring Sport participants. The medical form on the web
site must be completed by a medical doctor, stamped and signed by the medical doctor. It need not be done at the beginning of the year just as
long as the period has not expired. The instructor is responsible to ensure that the medical is done and that the participant is declared healthy to
participate in Kickboxing.
Ring Sport basic medical check at every event is mandatory.
All attending an international WAKO event will have to do a medical as prescribed by WAKO.
ITEM No 12:
WAKO IF VISIT TO SOUTH AFRICA
The president of WAKO International and four international trainers will be visiting South Africa. Seminars and training sessions will be held in the
South and the North. The chairperson asked everyone whether he has their commitment to attend the seminars / training before finalizing the dates.
Everyone said yes they will have all their students there. To cover their costs for accommodation and traveling there will be a participation fee.
The more we are in attendance the less the fee will be.
This is a great opportunity to expand our knowledge and show commitment.
The chairman will also enquir about WAKO International gradings to be done while they are here.
ITEM No 13:
5 Km RADIUS
The matter regarding clubs opening up within a 5 km radius from another was discussed. The chairman concluded with the following;
1. There is no SAKA law regarding the 5 km radius. It is a matter of respect for one another.
2. The two or more instructors involved in such a situation must agree to operate in close proximity. We have a number of clubs who operate within
this radius without a problem.
3. This normally creates a problem when instructors operate their clubs solely as an income or they steal one another`s students.
4. The provincial chairperson must attend to these matters within the province and must make a decision on who operates there on behalf of SAKA.
Should it really not be settled the matter can be discussed with the SAKA chairperson for a final decision.
ITEM No 14:
Due to the appointment of J.D Du Plessis by the WAKO Referee`s boardwithout consulting the chairman this point was discussed to obtain clarity
about the matter. The following was decided;
1. No foreigner may appoint anyone to a post within SAKA. They can make a suggestion to the chairman due to the person`s commitment or international
2. Abdullah and J.D will serve as the trainers of Tatami Sport. They must see to it that officials are trained as referees and judges. They must also
manage the officials of Tatami Sport at the SA`s and other combined events should they be present. Andrew will be responsible for the Ring Sport.
3. This does not imply that they must manage the event organizer`s event.
ITEM No 15:
Josh Cloete mentioned that we must look into the option of having people going for higher senior black belts write a thesis of about 30 to 40 pages.
This can then be kept / placed on the web for everyone to read. Grading is a style activity and each style must decide how it will be managed.
ITEM No 16:
NEXT YEAR`S SA`s
The SA Championships will be hosted by Wine land in either Paarl or Stellenbosch. It will take place over the period 27 to 29 April 2018.
Please do your traveling arrangements and work leave arrangements well in advance. SAKA cannot change a programme to suite individuals or have
individuals hold proceedings back.
ITEM No 17:
SAKA WEB SITE
Our website will be updated and changes will be made to it. This will include a Pro section and all it`s rankings.
ITEM No 18:
INTERNATIONAL WAKO SEMINAR
An international WAKO seminar will be held in South Africa which will include; Tatami Sport, Ring Sport, Official`s course, gradings etc. The
chairman will request that the seminar be held in the South and the North. Dates will be communicated soon. Everyone promised the chairman that they
will be attending the seminar with all their students and more. We cannot expect these people to come from Europe to empty halls with little
attendance. We need everyone`s support.
The sequence of the event was discussed. The evet was opened by the Deputy Major of Durban who was very surprised to see the size of SAKA. The
chairman once again thanked all in attendance and confirmed the fact that we are a family who will experience good and bad times but must stand
together for the sake of the sport.
Pat Carney ( Hard Copy Signed )
8 May 2017
SAKA CHAIRPERSON DATE
MASA AGM Minutes 2015
AGM Minutes 2016